Building & Finance Membership: Six Governors & Head Teacher
Quorum: Four Governors (one of which may be the Head Teacher)
Meetings: To be held termly or as required. A minimum of two weeks’ notice must be given when convening a meeting
1. Building Terms of Reference (2018/2019):
- 1.1 To approve lettings of school premises and set appropriate charges.
- 1.2 To advise the Headteacher on matters relating to the school buildings and premises.
- 1.3 To be responsible for the maintenance and care of the site upon which the school buildings are situated.
- 1.4 To monitor the general conditions of the buildings and to make recommendations to the Full Governing Body.
- 1.5 To ensure that all areas of the site, buildings, fixtures and fittings are secure, safe and correctly maintained according to current regulations.
- 1.6 To oversee the installation and maintenance of environmental facilities as may be required. To ensure that the school grounds and facilities are aesthetically pleasing and environmentally friendly where possible.
- 1.7 To take due regard of Health & Safety issues and regulations to the school site, and ensure that risk assessments are undertaken.
- 1.8 Review Lettings Policy biannually (or earlier if required)
- 1.9 Review Health and Safety Policy biannually (or earlier if required)
2. Finance Terms of Reference (2018/2019):
- 2.1 To plan and submit a budget (including the Statement of Internal Control SIC and Best Value Statement) to the FGB for ratification for submission to the L.A. following allocation of funds and a review of expenditure from the previous budget year. This will be carried out in conjunction with the School Development Plan and regular reports from the Headteacher.
- 2.2 To agree or amend the changes to the budget recommended by the LA Finance Officer
- 2.3 (i) To regularly monitor the budget and planned expenditure.
(ii)This will include agreeing the half year financial review which will then be submitted to the FGB for ratification
- 2.4 To approve action when income/expenditure shows significant variance from budget.
- 2.5 To agree to the virement of funds between different areas of the budget beyond the 15% delegated to the Headteacher’s discretion.
- 2.6 To approve expenditure beyond those determined in the Purchasing Policy.
- 2.7 To take decisions on the basis of the School Development Plan and subsequent planned expenditure.
- 2.8 Review Purchasing Policy annually
- 2.9 Review Finance Policy annually
- 2.10 Review the Terms of Reference for Financial Responsibilities and Schedule For Delegated Authority annually.
- 2.11 Review Finance manual biannually
- 2.12 Undertake a financial risk assessment prior to forming the SIC.
- 2.13 Review financial benchmarking information.
- 3.1 To implement the Pay Policy in a fair and objective manner and to consider any individual representations that may be made in respect of pay decisions.
- 3.2 To undertake an pay review and agree pay recommendations based of the criteria set out in the Pay Policy.
- 3.3 To observe all statutory and contractual obligations, including making arrangements to notify pay decisions to individual members of staff within appropriate timescales.
- 3.4 To minute clearly the reasons for all decisions and report these decisions to the next meeting of the Governing Body.
- 3.5 To recommend to the Governing Body the annual budget required for pay purposes, including provision for discretionary pay advancement arising from performance reviews.
- 3.6 To keep informed of relevant developments including legislation and statutory guidance affecting the Pay Policy and to review, and to recommend changes or modifications to the Governing Body, as appropriate and at least annually.
- 3.7 To consider the impact on the budget of any proposed staff changes/staff absence and to recommend appropriate action to the FGB
Next Review Date: Sept/October 2018